Recipe by: Kristen Holding
What makes this bread so good is the cinnamon-sugar crusted nut topping. I like to make these in small bread pans instead of one large pan so that you get more topping in each bite. I often will make 2-3 times more topping than the recipe calls for and really load up each loaf.
- ¼ pound (one stick) cool butter
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2 1/3 cups (about 4-5 depending on sizes) very ripe bananas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans (candied nuts make this even better)
- 1 tablespoon demerara or turbinado sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a 9 x 5 in loaf pan OR four mini disposable loaf pans. Using an electric mixer, cream butter until smooth and fluffy. Add sugar and cream together 2 minutes more. One at a time, mix in eggs. Mix in bananas until only small lumps remain.
- Stir dry ingredients together and mix into banana mixture just until combined. Pour into prepared pan(s).
- Make the topping by combining the ingredients together and sprinkle over batter.
- Bake 1 large loaf for 65 minutes OR 4 mini loaf pans for 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan(s). Wrap in foil for storage. Plastic wrap makes topping soggy.