English Conversation Café
Mondays at 10 a.m.
Learn to communicate more effectively by discussing a variety of subjects in English. This is an informal, mixed level group. Anyone who has a basic knowledge of English can join.
Foreign Language Resources
The library features assorted books for adults in Arabic, Hindi, Polish and Spanish. The collection was funded through a LSTA grant that was awarded in the mid 1990s. Library users may suggest non-English titles of interest for consideration to be purchased for the World Language collection.
The library features assorted materials for children in the following foreign languages: Arabic, Chinese, Polish and Spanish. The library features assorted bi-lingual books for children in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Italian, Polish, Russian and Spanish. Library users may suggest non-English titles of interest for consideration to be purchased for the World Language collection.
The Penpal is a pre-programmed device created to read aloud in a variety of languages. This award-winning digital companion will introduce you to learning material in a unique way. Touch the pen to a book, poster, or learning chart, and you’ll hear the content read to you. Penpal creatively brings audio, interactivity, and magic to printed materials. Each Penpal set includes the Penpal device, sheet and books.
Now you can learn another language through our new interactive database, Mango Languages.
Mango Languages’ PhD-created, linguist-approved language-learning software teaches practical conversation in over 70 languages, while keeping the vibe fun and encouraging. Mango rapidly builds language proficiency and cultural understanding around real-world communication skills that you’ll actually need. Mango teaches through examples.
For those using a tablet or phone, an app is available to download. Contact the Reference Desk for more information at (708) 428-5151.
ESL Instruction for Adults
- Moraine Valley Community College – https://www.morainevalley.edu/academics/academic-programs/english-language-programs
9000 College Parkway
Palos Hills, IL 60465
- Prairie State College – https://prairiestate.edu/corporate-continuing-education/adult-education/english-as-a-second-language/index.aspx
Corner of Halsted and Vollmer Road
Chicago Heights, IL 60411
- South Suburban College – https://www.ssc.edu/non-credit-offerings/adult-education-programs
15800 S. State Street
South Holland, IL 60473
ESL Instruction for Children
- Orland School District 135 – https://www.orland135.org/Page/4651
- Tinley Park School District 146 – https://district146.org/district_information/departments/student_services/english_language_learners